ShowBiz & Sports Lifestyle

Hot

Josh Widdicombe says Strictly Come Dancing special was ‘worst day of my career’

Josh Widdicombe says Strictly Come Dancing special was ‘worst day of my career’

Louis ChiltonMon, May 18, 2026 at 8:33 AM UTC

0

Josh Widdicombe has described his 2024 appearance on the Strictly Come DancingChristmas special as the “worst day” of his career.

The 43-year-old comedian is hotly tipped to become one of the new presenters of the popular BBC reality show, following the departures of Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly at the end of last year’s series.

Reports suggest that Widdicombe, alongside former Big Brother presenter Emma Willis and Strictly pro dancer Johannes Radebe, is poised to sign on to host the controversy-struck show.

Josh Widdicombe pictured in 2024 (Getty Images)

During an appearance at Hackney Empire on Friday (15 May), performing his Not My Cup Of Tea show, Widdicombe made reference to his appearance on the 2024 Strictly Christmas special.

He had competed on the show at the behest of his daughter, and was partnered with pro dancer Karen Hauer.

“I have started doing old people’s TV shows and attracting older audiences,” he told the audience, per The Sun. “If I was to sum up the age I have reached – I did the Strictly Christmas special two years ago.

“I had the worst day of my career. We all had to get up and do a group dance. All the big celebs were there – me, Nitro from Gladiators. All the biggies. We all started dancing and I realised I was the worst dancer. This wasn’t meant to happen.”

He said that he knew he would “be fine” when he signed up to compete because he was familiar with “how Strictly works”.

“There’s always a s*** middle-aged bloke that makes everyone else look good,” he added.

Advertisement

“I was like, ‘Oh f***. I am the s*** middle-aged guy. I am Adrian Chiles, je suis Jeremy Vine, that is who I am. Did I do well? I got a 10 from Anton Du Beke. Is he the toughest judge? Yes he is. Don’t Google that’.”

Winkleman and Daly announced in October that they would be leaving Strictly at the end of its 23rd series, which concluded in December.

Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly quit 'Strictly' in 2025 (BBC)

In recent weeks, several celebrities have ruled themselves out of the running for the vacant presenter roles.

Speaking on her Dig It podcast earlier this month, presenter Zoe Ball said of the Strictly job: “I didn't get it, but it's OK.

“I have worked through the seven stages of grief and rejection over the last couple of days.”

Rylan Clark, Fleur East and Angela Scanlon are also among the names once mooted for the position – but who have seemingly missed out.

East, who hosts the Strictly companion series It Takes Two, told listeners on her Hits Radio show: “All right, I’m going to say it, I did say initially, after Tess and Claudia announced they were leaving Strictly, ‘you know, it’s probably not going to happen [for me] and I’m happy for whoever gets it’.”

Adding that Willis would be “great and amazing” for the show, she continued: “I’ve kind of lied to myself that I’d be all right with not doing it or not being considered for the job, but I’m kind of bothered…”

Strictly returns on BBC One later this year.

Original Article on Source

Source: “AOL Entertainment”

We do not use cookies and do not collect personal data. Just news.